Kate Garry Hudson is an American actress. She is a comedian, actor, musician, and daughter of Goldie Hawn and actor Kurt Russell. She rose to prominence in 2000 for playing Penny Lane in Almost Famous, for which she won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress … Wikipedia
Date of Birth 19 April 1979, Los Angeles, California, USA
Birth Name Kate Garry Hudson
Height 5′ 6″ (1.68 m)
Almost everyone who has spent time with Kate Hudson -including directors, family members, co-stars and interviewers – is quick to comment on her ability to light up a room. Through some combination of a winning smile, solid work ethic, and good old-fashioned talent, the young actress has gone from indie beginner to Vanity Fair cover girl in just three years. What’s more, she’s done it all without capitalizing on the success of legendary actress mom, Goldie Hawn.
Kate Hudson was born in Los Angeles, California, to Goldie Hawn and Bill Hudson, a comedian, actor and musician. She was raised by her mother and her mother’s partner, actor Kurt Russell, whom she considers to be her father. Kate is the sister of actor Oliver Hudson, the half-sister of actor and hockey player Wyatt Russell, and the granddaughter of band musician Rut Hawn. Kate is of Hungarian Jewish (from her maternal grandmother), Italian (from her paternal grandmother), English, and German ancestry.
By all accounts, Hudson was a born performer – as a child she danced and sang at every opportunity. Her family hoped that she would attend New York University after graduating from high school, but she opted to get her feet wet in the professional acting world first. She made her big-screen debut as an ambitious young starlet stranded in a tiny California town in Desert Blue (1998). Her next two films, while critically panned, made it into wider release: 200 Cigarettes (1999) (in which she played an earnest but accident-prone ditz) and Gossip (2000) (which cast her as a rich, virginal college student). Perhaps Hudson’s biggest break was landing the role of rock groupie (or “Band Aide”) Penny Lane in Almost Famous (2000). The part was originally intended for Sarah Polley; when Polley backed out to pursue another project, director Cameron Crowe considered scrapping the film altogether. Hudson, who had been cast in a smaller role (as William’s stewardess sister), begged for a chance to read for Penny. Crowe was impressed, Hudson got the part, and the show went on. As much as Tinseltown gossipmongers would like to put them at odds, mother and daughter agree that Hawn is one of Hudson’s biggest supporters.
Goldie Hawn & Kate Hudson
- Mother of Kate Hudson
- Married to Kurt Russell (Together since 1983)
- Two previous marriages
- Kurt & Goldie never married
- At 19 ran a dance school and worked as a professional dancer
- “Laugh-In” (1968-1970)
- Was the “Sock It To Me” Girl
- “Cactus Flower” (1969)
- “There’s A Girl In My Soup” (1970)
- “The Sugarland Express” (1974)
- “Shampoo” (1975)
- “Private Benjamin” (1980)
- “Swing Shift” (1984)
- “Overboard” (1987)
- “Death Becomes Her” (1992)
- Turned down role of Mary Jane in 2002’s “Spiderman” film
- “Almost Famous” (2000)
- “Dr T & The Women” (2000)
- “How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days” (2000)
- “Alex & Emma” (2003)
- “Bride’s Wars” (2009)
- “Glee” (2012-2012 / TV Recurring Role)
- Charismatic energy
- Daughter of Bill Hudson and Goldie Hawn, but she was raised by Goldie’s longtime partner, Kurt Russell, whom she considers and treats as her biological father.
- Named one of the ’50 Most Beautiful People in the World’ by People Magazine. (2000)
- Turned down the part of Peter Parker’s girlfriend Mary Jane Watson in Spider-Man (2002) for the role of
- Ethne Eustace in The Four Feathers (2002).
- Once said that as children, her brother Oliver used to torment her by nicknaming her “Hammerhead” (as in hammerhead shark).
- Graduated from Crossroads, a Santa Monica performing arts school, in 1997.
- Started production company Cosmic Entertainment in 2003 with Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell and her brother.
- Ranked #99 in Premiere’s 2003 annual Power 100 List. It is her first appearance on the list and she was the youngest person on it that year at the age of 24.
- Enjoys playing guitar, writing music, and arts & crafts
- Younger sister of Oliver Hudson (born 1976), and a half-sister of Emily Hudson (born 1982) and Wyatt Russell and Zachary Hudson (both born 1986).
- Niece of Patti Hawn, Brett Hudson and Mark Hudson who, along with her father, Bill Hudson, were part of the rock group, The Hudson Brothers.
- Her son Ryder’s middle name, Russell, is an homage to her mother Goldie Hawn’s longtime partner Kurt
- Russell, whom Kate always considered to be her father.
- When she was 11, her mother relented and got her an audition for a lead role in a never-produced television show with Howie Mandel. Hudson won the part – but Hawn didn’t tell her, turned it down, and kept the secret until she admitted it a year later.
- She turned down what could have been her big break, a role in Escape from L.A. (1996), because it starred Kurt
- Russell and “I didn’t want to be professionally associated with my dad. I just wanted to see if I could do the audition.”
- She can play guitar and piano.
- Admires Bette Davis
- Does yoga
- Dislikes wearing make-up and washes her face with Cetaphil
- Her wedding ring is white gold.
- Her father, Bill Hudson, is of approximately half English and half Italian descent. Her mother, Goldie Hawn, is of German and English descent on her own father’s side, and of Hungarian Jewish descent on her own mother’s side. Kate was raised Jewish and Buddhist – as she has described it – “Jew-Bu”.
- Best friends with Liv Tyler.
- Has 3 dogs: Clara (a Pomeranian), Doctor (an English bulldog), and Bella (a Neapolitan mastiff)
- Speaks French
- Buys her clothes from vintage clothing shops and makes her own jewelry
- Was at the 2004 Jammy Awards in Madison Square Garden. She is a big fan of the hippy/jam scene.
- Rank #38 on VH1’s 100 Hottest Hotties
- Cousin of singer Sarah Hudson.
- Ranked #51 in Stuff magazine’s “102 Sexiest Women In The World” (2002).
- Is friends with The Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards.
- Her ex-stepmother is actress Cindy Williams.
- Graduated from high school (Crossroads School, 1997) with two time NBA All-Star and current Golden State
- Warrior Baron Davis.
- Has two sons Ryder Russell Robinson (aka Ryder Robinson) born January 7, 2004, with ex-husband, Chris
- Robinson and Bingham Hawn Bellamy born July 9, 2011, with ex-fiancé, Matthew Bellamy.
- Plays a young rock-star groupie in Almost Famous (2000). Her mother, Goldie Hawn, played a middle-aged former groupie in The Banger Sisters (2002).
- Her ex-husband, Chris Robinson, is the lead singer of The Black Crowes.
- Named #47 in FHM’s “100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005” special supplement. (2005)
After the National Enquirer reported that she had an eating disorder, she successfully won a libel suit against them. As a result of the suit, she has become one of the only people who successfully forced the Enquirer to admit they fabricated a story (rather than claiming it was a mistake).
- Ex-sister-in-law of Rich Robinson.
- Announced separation from her husband of almost six years, Chris Robinson [July 2006].
- Named #66 in FHM magazine’s “100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006” supplement. (2006).
- Auditioned for the role of Lady Jocelyn in A Knight’s Tale (2001), but lost out to Shannyn Sossamon.
- Has been in a relationship with Owen Wilson twice. They originally began a relationship in August 2006, having met on the set of You, Me and Dupree (2006), but they broke up in May 2007. They reconciled in
- March 2008, only to separate a second time in May 2008.
- Ranked #27 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2007 list.
- Met former husband, singer Chris Robinson, after actor/comedian, Dave Foley convinced Chris to hit on her.
- Kurt Russell walked her down the aisle at her wedding to Chris Robinson.
- Launching new eco-friendly hair-care products [June, 2008].
- Born at 10:51 AM (PST).
- She was listed as a potential Razzie nominee in the Worst Actress category for Bride Wars (2009). She did not receive the nomination.
- Granddaughter of Rut Hawn and Laura Hawn.
- Has two nephews and a niece from her brother, Oliver Hudson, and sister-in-law, Erinn Bartlett. Wilder
- Brooks, born August 23, 2007, Bodhi Hawn, born March 19, 2010 and Rio Laura, born July 18, 2013.
- Met best friend Liv Tyler at the Crossroads School in Santa Monica, California in the 90s.
- Returned to work 3 months after giving birth to her son Ryder in order to begin filming The Skeleton Key (2005), losing 60 pounds for the role.
- Formerly engaged to Matthew Bellamy, having been in a relationship since April 2010. Their engagement ended in December 2014.
- Was considered for the role of “Donna Pinciotti” in That ’70s Show (1998).
- Returned to work 2 months after giving birth to her son Bingham to begin filming The Reluctant
- Fundamentalist (2012).
- Delivered her son Ryder via Caesarean section out of fear of suffering the same delivery problems as her mother (Goldie Hawn all 3 of her children via emergency C-section), but later gave birth to her son Bingham naturally.
- Has been good friends with Casey Affleck since they met on the set of 200 Cigarettes (1999).
She is left-handed.
- I have zero problems when people say, “God, you look like your mother”. I go, “Well, great! Thanks!”
- I’m a hippie at heart. I wear the clothes, and they’re the best. And the music is incredible, too.
- Everyday, I tell my husband, “Maybe we should cash in. I’ll make handmade lotion and you can write music and sell it on the Internet”.
- [on making Raising Helen (2004)] The sweetest moment was when the kids were done and when we finished with the kids. It was just so emotional. And I looked at Abby [Abigail Breslin, who plays five-year-old Sarah] and she was crying. I mean it was so difficult. We just hugged forever and I told them I loved them. And it was just… it really made the whole experience that much more special; to know that those kids took something from that experience.
- [on her co-stars in Raising Helen (2004)] It was great. They were so professional and yet, still kids. Abigail
- [Abigail Breslin who played Bo] was so adorable and so good. She cried at the drop of a hat. She was so focused.
- When she had to do what she had to do, she really worked hard at it. And Spencer Breslin was hysterical. And
- Hayden Panettiere is at that age that I remember so well–13-ish–where you want to be an adult and want to be taken seriously, but people don’t treat you like it, so you overcompensate.
- I’m not a big fan of romantic comedies, believe it or not… Well, I don’t run out to see them.
- I’m Jewish and this was the first time I experienced real anti-Semitism. Paris was scary…there were synagogues bombed and there was anti-Semitic graffiti all over the place. I was very angry. This is something I am passionate about.
- [about paparazzi photographing her and her son when he is present] It bothers me, it bothers my parents.
- Ryder doesn’t know what that is. He’s four years old. It’s aggressive, it’s bizarre and it makes him self-conscious. And kids should always be kids, they should never be self-conscious of what they’re doing. That should be illegal.
- [about being mistaken for other actresses] I was in this furniture store with Ryder [her son] and this woman, said, “I know who you are–Gwyneth Paltrow. And I was like, “Yeah”. Gwyneth and I look nothing alike.
If I’m not feeling good, I load on lots of jewelry. It gives me energy and makes me feel kind of happy.
- [on Almost Famous (2000)] One of my favorite experiences. One, because I love Cameron Crowe. And two, because it was just such a wonderful movie. The whole thing was overwhelming – in the best way.
- Only in failure do you reach success. You can only get to the good stuff when you’ve done the hard stuff.
- I want my sons to respect women, and that starts with me. If a man respects his mom, you know she’s done something right.
- We all have to find what works best for us and allows us to be our own best version of ourselves.
- Desert Blue (1998) $8,000
- Ricochet River (2001) $7,000
- The Four Feathers (2002) $750,000
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) $4,500,000
- Raising Helen (2004) $7,000,000
- The Skeleton Key (2005) $7,000,000
- My Best Friend’s Girl (2008) $7,000,000
- Bride Wars (2009) $7,000,000
Kate Hudson’s Fappening Photos
More photos in the album …